Thursday, April 12, 2007

The one with the Headache...

Well, I have just returned from an extended stay in Hungary and I wanted to put down some fingers to keyboard and hold my memories fresh. This will be the area for the EYOC 07 and the WOC 09 and so it was really good preparation for those two events. I will put my maps and thoughts here, feel free to comment!

As I am the Austrian Team Manager, I got to go on this training camp as a official (the one with the money) and obviously I was able to do some of the trainings as well. I left Henndorf (with Aisha) at 6 am on Saturday morning the 31st of March with the intention of meeting some team members in Vienna at 8:30. Perfect planning saw me arrive at exactly 8:30 and once we had stopped for some medicine and "padkos" we were on our way. Getting over the border was no problem and one small traffic problem was all the hold up we had until we got to our accommodation - which we couldn't find due to having the incorrect address.

I arrived fairly buggered, 8 hrs in the bus is hard work, and very dehydrated and this caused the usual heavy headache - but I struggled through. The afternoon training was on a map not too far from our accommodation, but the quality of the map wasn't so good. I didn't have any problems, except between 10 and 11 where the map was not clear anyway, and various gully's were missing and so I was looking in the wrong one. I took it fairly easy and enjoyed the run where I could (headache) - however young Aisha had a great time.

I was happy - this was looking like it was going to be a good week. My only concern were the high meters, and a few blisters picked up while running in OL shoes that haven't been used all winter!

The evening saw us try out our local "restaurant" and I must admit they were good through out our stay in Hungary. Generally speaking the food was good albeit heavy - far too much meat was on offer (every meal incl. breakfast) but we were well catered for, only vegetarians need to worry about Hungary.

As usual you can find my training here on Attackpoint!

No comments: