Thursday, April 12, 2007

The one with the blisters...

Sunday morning dawned bright and early. Every thing was going well, all the kids had taken to Aisha, my headache was gone :) I still had blisters however. I taped myself up nicely before breakfast to protect my ankles as I knew that in Hungary the ground is very stony, and it would be no different today.

The planned training was a 9 km race which formed part of the Eger cup. I was planning on taking it easy. On arriving we were hit by the fairly cool temps and so it was quickly into our kit and off to the start. Once there (and I was the first) it was off immediately and here I picked up on an error that occurred fairly often while in Hungary. I wasn't concentrated enough when I left and as a result made a mistake straight away to the first control. Bugger. Here the rest of the analysis:

S-1: lack of concentration leading to incorrect route choice and I was unsure where I was.
2-3: Could have stayed on the road longer.
7-8: Dropped to much and had to come back up to control
8-9: Control circle problems - no real attackpoint
11-12: drifted right on a bearing
12-13: Incorrect route choice - round the hill right and path was substantially faster
14-15: Map a bit dicey, but mainly lack of concentration close to control
15-16: My blister have blisters - no concentration and tired. Bearing from road was not accurate enough and wasn't able to reallocate. Wandered, no purpose.
16-17: After the mine, followed two others on a different course and drifted off my own bearing.

I took 2 things away with me, one was that the ground was going to be difficult to run over and the other was that sometimes the map needs some interpretation on it's own.

Lunch was had down in a small valley and was really good, and the rest of the mid morning, early afternoon we just relaxed and got ready for the second training.

Oh yes, and did I mention that my blisters had blisters?

No comments: