Monday, September 11, 2006

The Wallerseelauf

On the weekend were 2 orienteering events in the furthest away part of Austria that you can get to. Consequently Christine and I decided to skip these two events, and I planned on running the Wallersee Half Marathon, which is a half marathon around the wallersee. A really beautiful run which has about 1/3 road and 2/3 offroad tracks, but I was weak, fat, lazy, slow, did I mention fat, and wimped out on the morning of the race.

However this didn't put me off going to watch my mates Frank "I help Arthur" de Busscher, Arthur "I started way to fast" Schuchter, Mauricio "all the way from Columbia" Comi and Veronika "Achensee Winner" Weyrich running round the lake. I was able to see them at a few spots, and Frank "Come here Aisha" even took Aisha for the last few KM's which gave him the extra power to pip Arthur "Mr Constant" by a mere 50 m. Both ran times around the 1h28 in preparation for next weeks Marathon in the Wachau.

Veronika "taking it easy" came home in 1h40, and club newbie, Mauricio "no shirt" came sliding in at 1h46, but he was hampered by two very nasty blisters on his feet. This was not enough however to prevent our boys Arthur "the hair", Frank "the non hair" and Mauricio "first race, first podium" from taking third place in the men's team competition - well done Dudes!

The weather was fantastic and the winner Gerhard "almost came to our club" Lettner ran a smashing time of 1h13'07 to break the current record. A fun time was had by all, and this is certainly a race to put in the calendar for next year. I guess the next big occasion is the Wachau marathon next week - good luck Frank and Arthur,

See you all at training,
Richard.

P.S. Race results can be found on the Seekirchen Skiclub homepage!

4 comments:

naomi said...

n1 work guys! i wish u all the best for the marathon this week.
stay tuned :)

Anonymous said...

Come on rich you can't start looking for excuses no to run races you get to... that is not like you, or have you gone soft in your old age!!!
It was Cape Town Marathon this last weekend 10/09 so I linded up for 10th time. I'm training for Voet so I took it as a training run. they have a new route, (not a very good route) starting is Town and running out to Langa and back. 30km into the wind!!! I ran the first 30km at a tempo pace 1:52, then jogged home in 2h53:27. This weekend's race is a lot more fun, it's a 35km trail run around Table Mountain. should take me 3h30-4h00. (www.adventureworks.co.za)and that will be my last long run before the 7/10. That said I will be running the Gun Run Half and the Mast challenge. Enough said work time.
dion

Unknown said...

Hi D,

Congrats on your win mate! Way to go - good thing for you I wasn't there hey :)

Richard.

Anonymous said...

You are right about that I didn't go as well as I had hoped. I was scarcy that I would be caught. I think my body is getting old. if I want to beat the teams next year I'll have to train for it!!! I feel I can go faster, and maybe come close to the winning teams time.
Keep training.
D