Monday, July 11, 2011

Mrs Garmin and Robert Merl

I was given a Garmin 305 as a present for my 40th birthday and to be honest it's one of the best running watches I've ever owned. It can't do what a Polar can do with regards to heart rate, but bearing in mind that it costs a third of the price (and that I'm no longer a performance athlete), and I think I can suffer that loss. A friend of mine also has one and he has started calling it "Mr Garmin". I'm more inclined to call it Mrs Garmin as it is a particularly fickle and more often than not a little inaccurate.

The first thing that bothers me is how long it takes to find the GPS position. Literally 5 minutes of standing in EXACTLY the same position and it will have found enough satellites for me to start running. If I start running during this process, then it never actually settles down and I don't get any files for this running. This means I often switch the watch on 10 to 15 minutes before I go running.

The second thing that gets me is that it only records in 2 dimensions. I mean WTF...... Why is it not possible to develop a software that does this all correctly. I understand that climb is not so important to the average Joe, but for a mountain runner or an orienteerer, climb is exceptionally important. Honestly, quite shabby for a top GPS to be fair.

And thirdly is this "auto pause" option which drives me to drink. I used to have it turned off, but then it measures the entire time you are out, which is often not actually your running time. Then I turned it on and it works more or less OK, but NOT if you are running hills (because it only measures in 2 dimensions). The "auto pause" function doesn't work on position (go figure) but rather on straight line speed. I have yet to discover what the speed is at which it starts recording, but it is definitely faster than I can manage at the moment uphill, so it is often stopping even though I am actually going uphill at the time.

Point in fact is yesterday’s small hike up the stoawandel. Although I took almost exactly the same route, the uphill was apparently 600m shorter than the downhill and took me (downhill slightly longer - time wise) than getting up the hill. Oh well. The missus in still in fact the best watch I have ever had, so I'll live with her fickleness a bit longer :)

And now to Mr. Merl. WOT a performance he has given over the last week. World Champion and Vice-World Champion - WOW. Well done Robi, keep it up! Next hurdle is the Elite World Champs!

No comments: