Sunday, August 27, 2006

Rieder City 10km

or better known as the Cannonball run by the plebs (Wampi and Kampi)!

Yes, I decided that I would run the race on the weekend, and with my current status of training, I thought this was very brave :) We all met at the school on a nice Saturday afternoon for the drive to Ried, about 70 km away. Everybody was full of confidence and wanted to ensure that this would be a fast run.

There were 2 races actually, firstly the Juniors and Ladies ran the 5km, where Christian "leading bunch" Wartbichler finished an excellent 2nd in a time of 16:44, a new PB. Good running I thought! Veronika "looking cool in shades" Weyrich also had a smashing run, finishing in just over 20 minutes, and winning the ladies W50 cat. Well done to both of these runners who achieved the best results for us on the day.

The second race, a saucy 10 km chopped into 4 laps of 2,5 km was thankfully decidedly cooler as we started a bit later. Wolfi "go from the gun" Kampel, and Arthur "Training for the marathon" Schuchter blasted off from the start, leaving Richi "60 minutes" Gathercole to bring up the rear. Wolfi "The stitch man" had to slow down a bit, leaving Arthur "Can I get a PB" alone at the front. Richi "cannonball" was slowly but surely eating the field from behind. Wolfi "Stitch better" and Warti "lets help Richi" were great support during the last 2 rounds for Richi "getting faster".

In the end, Arthur "sub 40" ran 39:20, Wolfi "how does Richi move so fast when he's so fat" slightly over 43 min and Richi "wow" ended up running a 43:30 min 10km. Slow I know, but for 4 months zero training, not bad I hope. The prize giving was excellent with Warti "missed the snowboard by 10m" and Veronika "the OL lady" getting some great trophies. I think a good time was had by all!

See you all at the next race,
Richard.

P.S: Results at www.rieder-stadtlauf.at

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

43:30 Richard, what is happening to you... are you turning into a fat old father!!!!? well I hope you can put in a few miles and start breaking 40 again. didn't you manage that with your Dad the other day, and wasn't he breathing down your neck? If you want to turn into a lean mean running machine like your old man you had better make the most of the last days of summer...

It in good to see that you are running races again, maybe it will motivate you to get fit again. the clock doesn't ly!!!

I haven't run a race for a couple of weeks, and with it been the ladies 10km this weekend I won't be running again. Dawn is unfit and it is looking like she'll also sit this one out. That said she is keen to get back in shape and run some good times later in the year.

I've just entered Cape Town Marathon, to be run on the 10th of Sep. I'm just useing it as a training run. I'll run the first 30km in say about 1h50-1h55, and then just jog home in 3h00 it will be my 10th Cape Town.

I'm getting fit for summer, maybe you should aim at a good winter...

dion

Anonymous said...

Howdy Rich

Glad to hear that you're out and about again. My training was going great for the Voet marathon (first marathon if you exclude that slog up the Jungfrau a couple of years ago) two weeks back. Then I came down with something. Very weird. Just had a constant headache and couldn't run more than 2kms without running out of steam. But things seem to be improving, so I may yet manage a 'comortable' Voet. My target is 5m/k and to finish comfortably.

Orienteering wise, FINALLY after about a year of orienteering in road shoes, I've got myself a pair of what look like the closest thing to O-shoes here. Salomon Speed Cross. The guys at the JWOC liked them, so here's holding thumbs. Just got them this evening so hope to get them into the forest on the weekend.

Anyway, here's holding thumbs for a couple of decent weeks training before SA Champs and the Voet.