Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Speed, is it still there?

The training for the marathon has been going well. I have been following all the right rules, and have really tried not to be lasy about getting out there and going the sessions, even when I haven't felt like it. Over summer I pushed my weekly distance up to about 90 km per week, and will keep it there for another 2 or 3 weeks, and then begins the tapper.

One of my concerns has been my lack of long run speed. Back in the day I remember that we used to push out those 30 KM LJ's in about 4:00 to 4:20 pace and that was week after week. Now I've been struggling to get it under 5:00, and mostly it's been sitting around 6:00 to be honest, so I'm realizing that my original plan of a sub- 3 hour is probably not on the cards.

But what is still there? 3:15 or even 3:30?

After hitting the track in the last few weeks I've watched the KM times (on the track) drop like a stone. The first sessions I was pushing out 4:20 pace, yesterdays pace of 3:35 was a welcome relief to me - Yes, I'm still quick (lol - not as quick as I used to be) but I going with anything under 3:45 as quite good. The question is - how am I going to convert that into long jog speed?

And the bigger question is, what am I going to be aiming for as my marathon Tempo on race day ......

So I'll leave you pondering that while I get ready for my next Long jog - 21 km today on the marathon route - should be fun fighting the tourists :)

1 comment:

coach dion said...

Good to have you training again...
3:35... That's faster than I can run at the moment! (but I am carrying a sore calf! so am taking it slow for now.)

I have no doubt you can run a sub 3 again, maybe not this October, but if you enjoy this marathon and the Rand improves! I will have to make a plan to come run with you are train with you for a couple of weeks!